Drinking is cool, right?
Well, do you know someone who had unprotected sex because they were drunk? Perhaps you binge drink? Maybe you’ve seen violent behaviour from people seriously under the influence of alcohol? That’s not so cool – is it?
Join us here to take a look at why we have a risky relationship with alcohol and how we can improve this.
Phuza Wize – Drink Safe. Live Safe – is a Soul City initiative that seeks to change the drinking norms in South Africa and create a supportive environment for moderate drinking.
What are some of the things you will find on this website?
- Get more information about this campaign.
- Find help, either for you, a friend or family member.
- Be involved. Are you a tavern owner? Do you want your community to be a safer place? You’ll find out how, here.
- See Phuza Wize in action – Soul City series 10 is dedicated to spreading our message ‘Drink Safe. Live Safe.'
Did you know?
- More than 50% of victims of fatal violence and more than 70% of victims of non-fatal violence test positive for alcohol.
- Men, under the age of 30, are at the most risk of violence.
- Alcohol abuse has been linked to risky sexual behaviour and HIV infection.
- Interpersonal violence is the second leading cause of death in South Africa – this is directly linked to alcohol.